Senior Director - Business Support Systems
One team. Global challenges. Infinite opportunities. At Viasat, we’re on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. For more than 35 years, Viasat has helped shape how consumers, businesses, governments and militaries around the globe communicate. We’re looking for people who think big, act fearlessly, and create an inclusive environment that drives positive impact to join our team.
What you'll do
As part of its exciting and transformational journey to take the company into a digital future, Viasat’s Global IT is seeking a Senior Director – Business Support Systems.
The Senior Director will lead and champion the strategic direction, implementation, management, and support of the services that drive the business operations of our Business Segments. This portfolio includes strategic and mission critical Viasat global solutions such as Lead Management, Product Catalog, Pricing, Order Management, Provisioning, Billing, Invoicing, among others.
As the Senior Director, you will be accountable for understanding and managing the applications within your IT Portfolio and ensuring that the various solutions are optimized and effectively enabled to support business requirements. This will require significant collaboration with key senior business stakeholders and Viasat’s service providers to ensure work activities and projects are prioritized, delivered, and maintained. The role is accountable for developing solution roadmaps and solution lifecycle management in collaboration with the relevant business and technical stakeholders.
A key aspect of the role will be to gain acceptance, develop, and implement as common a solution as possible across the different business segments of the newly combined companies. This will require an open, collaborative individual who is able to objectively look at the existing legacy stacks, recognize what these bring to the table and consider a clean slate approach. All of this must be done while balancing the ongoing needs of the business and obtaining the concurrence of the current business stakeholders.
You will be a well-rounded and versatile individual capable of speaking the same language as your key business stakeholders as well as having a strong technical understanding of the state of the art in the industry and a passion for service excellence. You will also play a strong leadership role in ensuring your team is well motivated, engaged, trained, and focused on delivering quality services. This includes ensuring high quality delivery and support processes are implemented and maintained. You will bring an innovative and change-oriented personality that is tempered with sufficient political savvy to achieve continual business improvements.
Overall, this role will be responsible for the vision, leadership, direction, governance & strategies associated with the planning, delivery, management, and support of Viasat’s global business segments. To succeed, the role requires a unique mix of skills including strong time management and prioritization, excellent communication both verbal and written, and the ability to lead through collaboration with effective stakeholder management. You must be able to lead multi-disciplined teams across the value chain, driving product success without breaking the self-organizing culture that makes lean and agile delivery organizations successful.
- Responsible for development, testing and deployment across a variety of access technologies and applications.
- Lead development managers and teams that span the full stack. Includes management of both in house and contracted resources.
- Work in partnership with the Architecture and Solutions Design team to deliver best in class solutions that are scalable, sustainable, modern, and cost effective.
- Provide leadership and guidance to the Business Support Systems portfolio
- Cultivate positive and collaborative relationships with business stakeholders at all levels.
- Collaborate with the business and technical architecture teams to evolve and align the portfolio solutions with the business requirements and architecture models.
- Advise business and technology groups on future application options, outlining risks, costs, benefits, and capabilities and identifying practical trade-offs where appropriate.
- Review new and existing initiatives for compliance with IT standards, policies and architectural plans
- Responsible and accountable for the overall performance, engagement and service capabilities of the portfolio team including strong people management.
- You will ultimately be responsible for products that deliver a fantastic, frictionless experience for our stakeholders.
What you'll need
- 10+ years relevant previous leadership and technical experience
- Successful track record leading multi-disciplined engineering teams, skilled consensus-building and cost-conscious project management skills
- Transformational leadership with the ability to foster innovation while driving performance and efficiency improvements
- Coordinate requirements, budgets and product roadmaps with internal and external stakeholders who may have competing priorities in order to optimize business outcomes
- Ability to lead build, buy, or partnership decisions.
- Current in all relevant emerging technologies and engineering practices.
- Ability to act as a mentor to engineering staff both local and remote by creating coaching and professional development opportunities to enable a high performing, focused and inspired engineering team.
- Demonstrates and leverages strong business and financial acumen
- Proven leadership ability with high energy and enthusiasm to inspire and motivate others
- Ability to work independently, or as part of a team and experience working with multi-national teams
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, with excellent presentation skills and the ability to adapt to differing audiences, effectively communicating complex technical issues.
- Excellent listening skills with a strong ability to build cross-functional relationships
What will help you on the job
- Masters in Business Administration highly desired
Viasat is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, genetics, age, or veteran status or any other applicable legally protected status or characteristic. If you would like to request an accommodation on the basis of disability for completing this on-line application, please click here.