Machine Learning Engineer
One team. Global challenges. Infinite opportunities. At Viasat, we’re on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. For more than 35 years, Viasat has helped shape how consumers, businesses, governments and militaries around the globe communicate. We’re looking for people who think big, act fearlessly, and create an inclusive environment that drives positive impact to join our team.
What you'll do
As a Machine Learning Engineer, you will be part of a diverse team of engineers developing next-generation, vertically integrated products and services at Viasat. You will develop new, novel algorithms and techniques for analyzing complex data sets collected during Viasat's product and service lifecycles. You will be responsible for defining and developing models that produce new inferences and enable action by adjacent teams. You will work with software engineers to create new tools, libraries, and services that can expand Viasat's ability to understand complex data sets. You will be part of a growing team developing cloud-based solutions for tackling problems found at the groundbreaking of technological development.
On this team, you'll build a breadth of knowledge including distributed systems, predictive analytics, and machine learning. You will design, develop, and deploy analytic pipelines to answer questions across multiple business areas and disciplines for Viasat's vertically integrated products and services. We encourage learning through immersion, collaboration, and action. We value adaptability and curiosity. Our ideal candidate is someone who loves solving tough problems using data. You will have a role in the training and education of your peers by providing technical guidance and supporting team member growth.
- Responsible for translating business requirements into both objectives and problems, to be solved using data science and machine learning optimization
- Architect, design, and build data analysis pipelines while working with large and complex data sets to monitor and analyze metrics
- Use statistical tools to design experiments and determine causality
- Design and create predictive and decision-making algorithms for various business needs
- Understand and transform diverse data from many systems
- Present technical solutions to business partners using strong communication skills
- Ensure that the delivered software product remains operational and that fresh data is ingested continually
What you'll need
- 5+ years of industry experience in software development, machine learning, and/or distributed systems
- Experience with leading initiatives from inception to production
- Experience with Python/Spark, C/C++, and dbt/SQL
- Experience working with diverse and disparate datasets
- Ability to communicate and present data to both technical & non-technical audiences
- A Bachelor degree in a highly quantitative field (Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, a related field, or equivalent work experience)
What will help you on the job
- Master's degree is a plus
- Experience building ML/DL models & supporting infrastructure (training & inference)
- Experience with spatial/GIS processing (postgis, rasters/GDAL, pyproj, shapely)
- Experience with docker, ansible, airflow, AWS
- Knowledge of communication & networking protocols
- Experience with visualization frameworks such as plot.ly/D3, Matplotlib, Bokeh/Seaborn, or similar
$169,000.00 - $274,400.00 / annually
At Viasat, we consider many factors when it comes to compensation, including the scope of the position as well as your background and experience. Base pay may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Additional cash or stock incentives may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. Learn more about Viasat’s comprehensive benefit offerings that are focused on your holistic health and wellness at careers.viasat.com/LifeAtViasat/Benefits.