Offshore VSAT Technician
One team. Global challenges. Infinite opportunities. At Viasat, we’re on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. For more than 35 years, Viasat has helped shape how consumers, businesses, governments and militaries around the globe communicate. We’re looking for people who think big, act fearlessly, and create an inclusive environment that drives positive impact to join our team.
What you'll do
The Viasat mobility Energy team services oil & gas customer telecommunications requirement using VSAT (fixed & Stabilized terminals), PtP/LOS, Fiber optics & LTE systems to connect to the customer network infrastructure. The customers network can be provided by VIASAT, the customer IT department or a third-party IT Vendor, which is typically delivered through wired and wireless network devices: routers, switches, APS and SDWAN device.
The Viasat mobility team will install, commission, maintain and problem solve the offshore systems and services delivered to the offshore customer assets. The Field Technician position will provide the important support on the remote asset and work independently and with the onshore teams to complete the scope of work.
The successful candidate will have in-depth and accepted knowledge and experience to complete the scope on the familiar stabilized VSAT Antenna systems, fixed VSAT Antenna at Ka, Ku & C bands as well and Wireless WAN systems. A good familiarity with network infrastructure such as routers and switches are encouraged, as well as a logical and detailed approach to handling cable & hardware installations on site.
The customer will be left with a serviceable, tidy, and well documented asset. This leads to an efficient and clean operation for our customers that are using our highly reliable Communications solution, enabling maximum efficiency for the vital offshore operations for both business and crew communications.
Whilst in offshore the technician will work with the customer offshore crew to organize work and gain access to systems and coordinate work with support engineers, coordinators, and project managers to achieve:
- Installation, commissioning & fault diagnostics of GEO VSAT fixed single and dual Antenna Systems
- Commissioning & fault diagnosis of single & multiple carrier services on the above systems related to specific manufacturer Satellite access technologies for SCPC, TDMA, IDirect, newtech & CnC
- Installation and commissioning of LEO VSAT systems such as Avanti
- Installation and commissioning of LTE services in the North Sea
- Installation of P2P/LOS and Fiber Optic WAN services
- Installation, configuration and commissioning of VIASAT managed Network Lan infrastructure on site
- Installation, configuration, commissioning, and fault diagnostics of Out of Band system
- Finishes the Visat Field documentation and reporting procedures
- Completes and mentors RigNet associated technical training to within accepted levels
- Aligns with all Viasat, customer and regional compliance, HS&E and QA policies and regulations
What you'll need
- HNC\HND Electrical/Electronic/ Computer engineering qualification
- 5 years experience in similar role
- Seatel, Intellian, Orbit factory training certifications
- GVF Certifications relevant to VSAT
- Approved Fibre training (splicing and measurement)
- Demonstrable experience of electrical installation & termination
- Confirmed knowledge of basic LAN network infrastructure hardware, cabling & test
- demonstrable knowledge of associated test equipment (Spectrum Analyser, RF Power meter, DVM,OTDR, Lan Tester)
- Strong communication skills and able to work well with others
- Strong reporting experience
What will help you on the job
Having completed previous VSAT/ LTE training and having experience of O&G working conditions in offshore assets the successful candidate will be very familiar with process and procedure whilst working on offshore installations and navigating the client and third party customers on the facility to gain traction on the job at hand. A good attitude towards a proactive, assertive, and supportive communication to both customer and VIASAT support staff will complement a highly organized & methodical approach to delivering work scope. Being a fit individual able and willing to take on manual and physically demanding tasks, in often inclement and difficult outdoor environment, will go along way to being able to work optimally and quickly to overcome problems which are also technically fast paced.
Based on a good understanding of the manufacturer’s VSAT terminal technical ( fixed and stabilized ) installation, configuration & test, using manufacturer software, as well as experience of below deck satellite access modem configuration, test & commissioning processes will enable the successful candidate to bring strength & depth of value to the onshore team supporting them. The reliance on a sound understanding of the test equipment is vital to complete tasks cannot be understated and will be a key indicator of competence in the role.