Senior Regulatory Counsel
Who We Are
Nuro exists to better everyday life through robotics. The company’s custom electric autonomous vehicles are designed to bring the things you need—from produce to prescriptions—right to your home. Nuro’s autonomous, goods-focused solution can give you valuable time back and more freedom to do what you love. This convenient, eco-friendly alternative to driving has the potential to make streets safer and cities more livable.
About the Role
As Senior Regulatory Counsel, you will play a crucial role supporting our engineering teams in the development, testing, manufacture, and deployment of our groundbreaking zero-occupant autonomous vehicles that have the potential to save lives, reduce injuries, and help more people gain access to affordably delivered goods than ever before. The successful candidate will provide legal and regulatory advice and counsel to internal clients as well as represent the company in appearances before regulatory and other governmental bodies on matters pertaining to safety and environmental compliance of motor vehicles. The success of these clients is mission-critical for our growth and success, and the Regulatory team has a central role in helping to ensure that our products are developed in a manner consistent with public safety and regulatory requirements.
About the Work
- Develop strategies for regulatory compliance and advise product teams on safety and regulatory compliance at the Federal and State levels through the development, manufacture, testing, and deployment of motor vehicles in the United States, and participate in discussions with suppliers
- Provide leadership and management for one or more direct reports.
- Provide regulatory counsel and support for homologation and certification of motor vehicle safety in the United States
- Provide advice on automated driving system safety and compliance
- Provide regulatory counsel and support for homologation and certification relating to environmental requirements for motor vehicles in the United States at the Federal and State levels, as well as providing design and ongoing support for optimizing emissions compliance
- In conjunction with our Policy team, develop and implement strategic plans for Federal engagement and take lead on direct interaction with Federal policymakers
- Take lead on managing record retention and other regulatory compliance matters as applicable
- Take primary responsibility for preparing and submitting regulatory filings to Federal and State agencies including all required reports, licenses, and permits
- Provide support for legislative review and drafting relating to motor vehicle safety and environmental compliance
- Take primary responsibility for reviewing and tracking international regulatory developments that affect autonomous vehicles
- Draft comments on regulatory proposals relating to motor vehicle safety and environmental compliance
- Represent the company in meetings with regulatory bodies as well as hearings and other testimony as made be necessary and appropriate
- Provide excellent, timely service to internal and external stakeholders in a high speed environment subject to frequently shifting business priorities
- Review and process invoices from outside counsel and other legal vendors
- Assist with special projects and other tasks from time to time
- You’re experienced. You have 10+ years of legal experience at law firms, in-house, or government, with a focus on the laws and regulations pertaining to motor vehicles. You have experience developing and advocating for regulatory policy positions. Prior Federal work experience required, preference for those with experience working for Congress and the Executive Branch. Must be admitted to practice law in the District of Columbia.
- You are knowledgeable. You have a highly detailed and substantive command of the laws and regulations pertaining to motor vehicle safety and environmental compliance, including the federal motor vehicle safety standards and NHTSA’s procedures for investigating vehicle safety compliance and defects.
- You are a creative legal thinker. You are excited about the prospect of addressing innovative and groundbreaking challenges where there is no clear legal precedent, you enjoy learning new details about technical matters, and you look for opportunities to create innovative solutions using your command of the facts and law.
- You are team oriented. The success of one is the success of all, and every one of us contributes to our ultimate mission of bettering everyday life through robotics. You are focused on delivering creative results for our clients and enabling our collective success.
- You enjoy meeting new challenges every day. New and often unprecedented questions will be asked every day, and you are excited about the prospect of tackling new and unique challenges as they arise, and you enjoy living on the learning curve.
- You thrive in fast-paced environments, expertly juggling multiple tasks. You’re excited about working in a startup and pride yourself on just getting stuff done - clearing the way for the business to move fast and scale. You are able to work with many people in a fast-paced environment.
- You’re highly organized and meticulous. You have a proven ability to multi-task, prioritize work, and meet deadlines. You are detail-oriented when it comes to your work.
- You are an excellent communicator. You can digest and summarize facts and legal arguments, and are effective in communicating your recommendations, arguments, or findings to others both orally and in writing.
- You’re a fast learner. You are flexible and are able to quickly grasp new concepts. You embrace taking on new tasks.
- You’re a self-starter and get things done. The opposite of a bottleneck, you are known for driving process, and have a highly efficient communication style. You are able to work independently, and are able to anticipate needs before they arise.
At Nuro, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. For this position, the reasonably expected base pay range is between $165,000 and $248,000 for the level at which this job has been scoped. Your base pay will depend on several factors, including your experience, qualifications, education, location, and skills. In the event that you are considered for a different level, a higher or lower pay range would apply. This position is also eligible for an annual performance bonus, equity, and a competitive benefits package.
At Nuro, we celebrate differences and are committed to a diverse workplace that fosters inclusion and psychological safety for all employees. Nuro is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and expressly prohibits any form of workplace discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.