Manager, Transmission & Market Analytics
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2024
ConnectGen is seeking a Manager, Transmission & Market Analytics, to lead the transmission analysis and evaluation of the economic performance of renewable development projects throughout the US. This position will primarily utilize production cost modeling and powerflow software to provide RTO/ISO market insights, price forecasts, basis, and curtailment risk for PPA cash flow evaluations to support internal growth strategies. This position is initially expected to be an individual contributor and will report to the Director, Transmission and is part of ConnectGen’s Transmission team.
- Perform transmission analysis to forecast system conditions to assess grid related risks and provide analyses of congestion and basis risks for potential and existing projects with a long- term view of the market.
- Perform energy market and transmission modeling using PROMOD, TARA and/or Powerworld in support of prospecting, PPA pricing or other activities.
- Provide RTO/ISO market insights, price forecasts, basis, and curtailment risk, and PPA cash flow evaluations to support internal growth strategies.
- Analyzing energy market, historical, and fundamental data, drawing inferences and presenting results in a clear and understandable format to internal stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain up-to-date models, including but not limited to RTO/ISO and local transmission plans, in support of powerflow and production cost analysis needs.
- Assist the Development team in prospecting of future projects with LMP, basis and capacity market evaluations.
- Support the siting of greenfield renewable energy generation, energy storage, and transmission projects across the U.S. through power grid analyses.
- Support multiple ad hoc projects inclusive of those above, completing them in a timely manner.
- Assist with the team development and mentor junior staff, as necessary.
- Monitor and participate in transmission and resource planning processes of various transmission providers, load serving entities, ISO/RTOs, and FERC/regional forums across the U.S., as needed.
- Manage outside consultants in performing power system and power market studies and effectively communicate the results to project development, origination, engineering, and finance groups.
- Monitor and report on transmission related regulatory and trade group activities that may impact the company.
- Experience with production cost and capacity expansion modeling software: PROMOD (preferred), Gridview, PLEXOS, Aurora, GE MAPS, UPLAN, or Dayzer, etc.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with powerflow modeling software (such as PSSE, PSLF, Powerworld or TARA etc.,)
- Working knowledge and understanding of the NYISO, ERCOT, PJM, MISO, and/or CAISO markets.
- Experience with automation, especially in Python, excel VBA or an equivalent language is a plus.
- High motivation and passion to help create and efficiently deliver renewable energy projects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to present results and findings to internal executives.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills.
- Ability to multi-task in a high-pressure environment with attention to detail with occasional tight deadlines and concurrent deliverables.
- Ability to obtain approval to access Critical Energy Infrastructure Information (CEII) [see https://www.ferc.gov/enforcement-legal/ceii].
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s in Engineering or a related quantitative field is required.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in powerflow modeling software (such as PSSE, PSLF, Powerworld or TARA).
- Working knowledge of CAISO and WECC is not required but a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant energy/renewable industry experience.
- Familiarity with PROMOD, TARA, Powerworld and/or PSSE is a plus.
ConnectGen is an independent renewable energy company founded in 2018 focused on developing high quality wind, solar and energy storage projects across North America. Based in Houston, Texas, our experienced team has developed, built and operated thousands of megawatts across North America.
ConnectGen offers an attractive total rewards package including competitive pay, annual bonus, long term incentives, health and welfare benefits, generous time off, paid holidays, flexible work and more! We have a strong commitment to fostering a culture of support, entrepreneurship, innovation, problem-solving, professional development and growth in a collaborative, team-oriented environment focused on projects that will impact the future of power generation infrastructure.