Senior Manager, Strategic Procurement
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2023
ConnectGen is seeking a Senior Manager, Strategic Procurement to join our dynamic and growing team. This position is responsible for managing the purchasing process for major capital equipment and construction services for renewable energy and energy storage projects, including wind turbine equipment, photovoltaic modules, battery energy storage systems, EPC/BOP, and transformers. This role reports to the Vice President, Engineering, Procurement & Construction and is part of ConnectGen’s EPC group. (May consider someone for a Director-level role with 7+ years of direct experience.)
- Develop and implement competitive bid processes for major equipment and construction services for utility-scale renewable energy and energy storage projects
- Work closely with the Vice President, EPC on the development of contracting strategies and processes that result in the best value for the Company
- Manage relationships with vendors including but not limited to identifying new market entrants, supplier qualification, technical proposal review, and commercial and contractual negotiations
- Collaborate closely with internal stakeholders from engineering, construction, finance, legal, and development to drive the evaluation of supplier proposals
- Implement and manage inspection and monitoring programs for all major equipment procurements through engagement of third-party providers of QA/QC services
- Manage contract award review, analysis, and presentation of recommendations to executive leadership
- Build tools to benchmark and model various technologies based on multiple performance attributes, to inform cost estimation, financial modeling, and technical selection for projects
- Track global and U.S. wind, solar and energy storage markets, monitor technological advances in the industry, and own forward cost curves
- Maintain industry risk assessments on supply chain, ESG (environment, social, governance) and regulatory risk
- Participate in the engineering, design, and construction review process for projects
- Oversee projects through the entire construction life-cycle and ensuring hand over of a high quality project to the operations and maintenance team
- Other duties as assigned
- Perform technical analysis and synthesize results for non-technical audiences
- Perform contract analysis and basic economic analysis
- Review and synthesize technical designs, reports, documentation, and data from vendors
- Work in a project-type environment with occasional tight deadlines and concurrent deliverables
- Connect, manage, and collaborate with key suppliers in support of value creation for the company
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Supply Chain Management, or other related technical discipline strongly preferred. CIPS or other related professional certifications preferred
- CIPS or other related professional certifications preferred
- 5 - 7 years of progressively responsible technical, engineering, construction management, or related heavy industry procurement experience.
- 5+ years of progressive experience to be considered for a Senior Manager-level role; 7+ years of progressive experience to be considered for a Director-level role
- Demonstrated expertise in selecting, evaluating, and contracting equipment for utility-scale wind projects preferred
- Experience working with international vendors and supplier preferred
- Proven skills in procurement, costing and estimation, negotiation, basic accounting, contract analysis and e-procurement.
ConnectGen is an independent renewable energy company founded in 2018 focused on developing high quality wind, solar and energy storage projects across North America. Based in Houston, Texas, our experienced team has developed, built and operated thousands of megawatts across North America. ConnectGen is backed by Quantum Energy Partners, a leading provider of private equity capital to the global energy industry, having managed together with its affiliates more than $18 billion in equity commitments since inception.
ConnectGen offers an attractive total rewards package including competitive pay, annual bonus, long term incentives, health and welfare benefits, generous time off, paid holidays, flexible work and more! We have a strong commitment to fostering a culture of support, entrepreneurship, innovation, problem-solving, professional development and growth in a collaborative, team-oriented environment focused on projects that will impact the future of power generation infrastructure.