DevOps Software Engineer
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic DevOps Software Engineer who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
NASA chose Axiom Space to develop its next-generation astronaut spacesuits for the Artemis lunar missions. These new spacesuits built by Axiom Space will provide astronauts with advanced capabilities for space exploration, while providing commercially developed human systems needed to access, live, and work in microgravity as well as on and around the Moon.
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for a DevOps Software Engineer that will be responsible for creating and maintaining CI/CD pipelines, development tooling, and GitOps processes in support of development of the Axiom Extravehicular Activity (EVA) Spacesuit. The position will play a key role in the development of an integrated CI/CD system for Lunar and low-Earth Orbit (LEO) Space Suits.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Creating and maintaining CI/CD pipelines in a hybrid-cloud environment in alignment with our core value of
- Integrate and automate various open source and commercial software development tools.
- Monitor and maintain software deployments across hybrid-cloud and embedded infrastructure.
- Maintain disciplined software configuration control and management processes in alignment with our core value of
- Communicate with subject matter experts across disciplines, users, and management throughout the software test and development lifecycle, in alignment with our core value of
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer science, information systems, or equivalent
- 3-6 years of software development or DevOps experience
- Experience with defining CI/CD pipelines using tools such as Gitlab CI, Github Actions, or Jenkins
- Experience with utilizing Docker and Kubernetes for both continuous integration and software deployment
- Familiar with public cloud platforms such as Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure
- Software development experience is desired
- Experience with development of NASA safety critical software.
- Familiar with NASA core Flight System software.
- Experience working with containers and container management tools such as Rancher and Harbor preferred
- Configuration and maintenance of Gitlab and/or Jenkins experience preferred
- Familiarity with static analysis tools such as Klocwork, SonarQube, or Helix QAC
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
- Equipment and Machines
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and produce timely results
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic, and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.