Senior Director, Infrastructure Engineering
One team. Global challenges. Infinite opportunities. At Viasat, we’re on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. For more than 35 years, Viasat has helped shape how consumers, businesses, governments and militaries around the globe communicate. We’re looking for people who think big, act fearlessly, and create an inclusive environment that drives positive impact to join our team.
What you'll do
As the Senior Director of Infrastructure, you will play a critical role in the integration of two companies, working closely with cross-functional teams to harmonize and rationalize technology resources and infrastructure. Your primary responsibility will be to manage and optimize our corporate networks, storage, and servers while leading the adoption of a cloud-first strategy. This is a unique opportunity to shape the future of our combined infrastructure and drive efficiency and innovation.
This position requires high caliber strategic and business decision-making, technology and market awareness, as well the initiative, influencing skills and ability to collaborate with other members of the Information Technology group and business stakeholders.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams to assess the technology landscape of both legacy companies and develop a cohesive integration plan.
- Lead the integration of corporate networks, storage, and servers, ensuring a seamless transition and minimal disruption to operations.
- Manage and optimize the combined corporate networks, storage systems, and server infrastructure to ensure high availability, performance, and scalability.
- Identify opportunities for consolidation and standardization to achieve operational efficiencies.
- Lead disaster recovery and business continuity planning to ensure data integrity and minimal downtime.
- Drive the adoption of cloud services (e.g., AWS, Azure, GCP) to streamline operations, enhance flexibility, and reduce costs.
- Develop and execute a migration strategy for on-premises systems to the cloud, focusing on seamless integration and cost-effectiveness.
- Develop and implement guidelines and processes to track and control cloud spend.
Team Leadership and Collaboration:
- Build, lead, and motivate a high-performing IT team capable of managing the integrated infrastructure effectively.
- Collaborate with other department heads to align infrastructure initiatives with broader business goals.
Security and Compliance:
- Ensure compliance with industry regulations and company policies related to data security and privacy.
- Implement robust security measures to protect against potential risks and vulnerabilities.
- Effectively manage the budget for infrastructure integration, including resource allocation and vendor relationships.
- Set and enforce annual productivity improvement targets
What you'll need
• At least 10+ years of experience in Infrastructure product development and management, and/or “hyperscale” infrastructure technology development and service delivery
• At least 5-7 years’ experience managing an agile team of infrastructure, DevOps, SRE, and/or software engineers supporting an engineering and product development environment. Your team developed custom solutions and internal tools, as well as integrated open source,3rd party, and cloud service provider infrastructure solutions to meet the needs of your internal customers and business infrastructure requirements
• Demonstrated experience in designing and agile delivery of “infrastructure as code” at scale in a heterogeneous, DevOps environment supporting both cloud native and optimized on-premise/purpose built infrastructure solutions
• Excellent listening, oral and written communication/presentation skills with strong ability to influence people at all levels and in various functions
• Strong awareness of technology and architecture trends and their potential influence and applicability to Viasat’s business and strategic objectives, while being able to demonstrate the business and market value of said trends to Viasat
• Strong teaming skills and experience to bring together diverse views, disciplines, and approaches
• Creates, fosters, and protects an inclusive, collaborative and fun way of learning, sharing experiences, and enabling the growth of Viasat team members
• BS in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical degree required
• UK citizenship or EU with Permanent resident in the country you are apply to work in
• Up to 10% travel
What will help you on the job
Masters or MBA highly desirable
Viasat is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, genetics, age, or veteran status or any other applicable legally protected status or characteristic. If you would like to request an accommodation on the basis of disability for completing this on-line application, please click here.