Satellite Systems Engineer
One team. Global challenges. Infinite opportunities. At Viasat, we’re on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. For more than 35 years, Viasat has helped shape how consumers, businesses, governments and militaries around the globe communicate. We’re looking for people who think big, act fearlessly, and create an inclusive environment that drives positive impact to join our team.
What you'll do
As a Satellite Systems Engineer, you will join a team focused on the forefront of technology for innovative satcom architectures. You have hands-on experience in designing sophisticated space payloads within space environments. This also includes knowledge of communication chains, transponders, power management, and distribution units, onboard processing units for digital regenerative applications, and beam forming.
You thrive in an R&D framework environment and are passionate about continuous improvements. The ideal candidate will enjoy working on a variety of workflows from system definition to requirements downflow, reviewing subsystem design/co-design. Additionally, experience of manufacturing, integration, testing, and qualification is also a plus!
Together with the team, you will lead the mission analysis for space system requirements and down-flows. You will being responsible for the SWaPC analysis and defining interfaces (digital, electrical, RF, optical, mechanical/thermal, etc.) and help to drive and facilitate discussions with subcontractors/partners as needed.
As the SME, you will work and challenge external contractors on technical matters. Together with the team, you will assist with reliability analysis including simulations and design choices with supporting space qualification activities such as bus selection and components. You will also assist with program management and B&P, including collaborating with customers on programmatic and schedule matters. Finally, you will help to support test procedures, participate in the integration, launch, and in-orbit commissioning, and be involved in preparing presentations and reports for the full development (design reviews, test activities, manufacturing, qualifications, progress review, etc.)
What you'll need
The successful candidate should meet the following requirements:
- MS/PhD in Engineering (SatCom, Spacecraft systems, Telecommunications, Electronics, Digital Systems, Automation, Space Operations, etc.)
- 8-10 years of proven experience in the following areas:
- SatCom and Payload architectures for LEO/MEO/GEO/HEO
- HW/SW design, development, and integration for space applications
- Digital design for space communications and Digital regenerative payloads
- Inter-satellite links and digital phased array antennas
- Experience with orbital analysis tools, Telemetry, Tracking, and Control (TT&C) platform, and Ansys Systems Tool Kit (STK).
- Experience with operations, including satellite TT&C operations, payload operations, users, and network management facilities
- Swiss or EU (27) Citizenship or valid Swiss working permit
What will help you on the job
- Previous experience working with ESA/NASA programs is a plus!
- A proactive person who enjoys working being challenged and working as part of a diverse international team.