President, Platforms and Software Engineering
One team. Global challenges. Infinite opportunities. At Viasat, we’re on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. For more than 35 years, Viasat has helped shape how consumers, businesses, governments and militaries around the globe communicate. We’re looking for people who think big, act fearlessly, and create an inclusive environment that drives positive impact to join our team.
What you'll do
The President, Platforms and Software Engineering will help accelerate software innovation while driving a robust engineering culture and consistent approach to data, metrics, and process improvement. This leader will define operational excellence and the overall engineering direction for the entire company. The President, Platforms and Software Engineering will lead a highly talented global team of over 1,700 engineers that are distributed across the US, Canada, Europe, and Asia.
As a member of Viasat’s Executive Leadership team, the President, Platforms and Software Engineering, will be responsible for driving the technology strategy of the entire portfolio spanning consumer, enterprise, government/defense, maritime and aviation verticals. The individual will work closely with business unit leaders to ensure a culture that inspires high performance, accountability, customer obsession, and speed. This executive will balance the need for innovation with the development of requirements and process for building amazing features.
The President, Platforms and Software Engineering will lead a team of engineers to drive the development, strategy, and execution for software engineering across the company. This new executive will have a passion for people and enabling internal customers to build on the software infrastructure to connect the unconnected around the planet. This executive will build and improve the technical foundation that underpins Viasat. This foundation consists of essential building blocks for improving the pace of innovation for Viasat.
The President, Platforms and Software Engineering will look across Viasat to build central solutions, break down technical barriers and strengthen existing systems. This executive will have a mandate and a unique opportunity to impact important technical decisions across the company.
As the President, Platforms and Software Engineering, you will:
- Drive the integration of both people and technology of Viasat and Inmarsat, to create a much larger but more efficient global software organization.
- Spearhead the transformation from a waterfall-centric organization to an advanced software development company with agile development processes. Lead new software initiatives to commercial viability. Improve software productivity and delivery velocity.
- Instill a mindset of customer centricity as the company is moving from being vertically organized.
- Leverage new technologies like Generative AI and ChatGPT to improve automation and find cost synergies to create a leaner and more agile global engineering organization which can deliver new features and benefits faster than the competition.
- Build a high-functioning software engineering organization that delivers in a timeframe that aligns with company goals.
- Deliver the full capability of the Viasat-3 global satellite constellation consisting of three high-capacity Ka- band satellites that are expected to provide global coverage and capacity of Viasat’s network to bring high- quality, low-cost connectivity.
- Be one step ahead of the business unit leaders by offering suggestions for new technology innovation which will have the impact of growing market share for existing solutions (i.e., Maritime, Aviation, Government, Military, Consumer, Enterprise) and aid the introduction of newly created solutions in adjacent markets so Viasat can continue to be the market leader for innovation.
What you'll need
- At least 15 years of progressive experience in software engineering, ideally in a hardware-oriented environment.
- Experience in running high volume services at scale. Passion for delivering with a high bar for quality, time to market, and user experience.
- Experience in a multi-national technology company which serves customers across multiple customer segments or industry verticals.
- Ability to synthesize technology trends, competitive landscape, and changing customer trends to create a future technology road map that will continue to grow revenue and to meet customer requirements.
- Ability to leverage third party technologies to develop a best-in-class platform to serve customers.
- Ability to know when to buy, when to build, and when to partner.
- Experience building and leading teams of 500 people or greater with a consistent track record of scaling organizations; can attract, develop, and promote talent.
- Experience managing teams across multiple international time zones and engineering cultures. Ability to lead through influence, both with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience driving a software-based transformation across a large global company.
- Proven at leading large technology change programs at scale, including cloud migrations, data center rationalization, and virtualization.
- Proven ability to establish agile development processes and DevOps best practices and deliver best-in-class high quality and high-availability results on time.
- An operator able to weigh trade-offs when making decisions by focusing on business goals. Has an eye for innovation and the new while ensuring the team executes flawlessly, follows best-in-class engineering methodologies, and drives continuous improvement at scale.
- A degree in computer science or a related technical field (e.g., computer or electrical engineering, mathematics, physics), or equivalent practical experience. Master's or Ph.D. degree preferred.
What will help you on the job
- Master's or Ph.D. degree.
- Experience in developing a shared goal and ways of working that inspires teams to collaborate together across boundaries.
- Ability to lead through influence, both with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to attract and develop a strong team of talented engineers and to inspire/motivate the engineering teams across the company to work together as a cohesive and productive unit.
$440,000.00 - $586,125.00 / annually
At Viasat, we consider many factors when it comes to compensation, including the scope of the position as well as your background and experience. Base pay may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Additional cash or stock incentives may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. Learn more about Viasat’s comprehensive benefit offerings that are focused on your holistic health and wellness at careers.viasat.com/LifeAtViasat/Benefits.