Senior Global Trade Classification Specialist
One team. Global challenges. Infinite opportunities. At Viasat, we’re on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. For more than 35 years, Viasat has helped shape how consumers, businesses, governments and militaries around the globe communicate. We’re looking for people who think big, act fearlessly, and create an inclusive environment that drives positive impact to join our team.
What you'll do
The Senior Global Trade Compliance (GTC) team supports Viasat’s business and growth by being compliant with import and export regulations worldwide. We understand the regulations, requirements, and options available to us so we can transfer goods and technical information internationally and compliantly.
This team interacts with all divisions within Viasat, from space to government to energy to commercial services. We support programs and products from their inception to end of life which contributes to Viasat's success by being compliant with the necessary regulations at all stages. The GTC team interacts with many groups and roles that give us intracompany and external networking opportunities, along with self advocation for the important role of export compliance. We work with a diverse group of people within Viasat and externally such as customers, engineers, contract and program managers, after market services, global logistics, suppliers, legal counsel, and government entities throughout the world.
World events shape the ever-changing government regulations. As such, we are required to stay current on international relations and how they may impact legislation and regulation in real time. We monitor world affairs, along with interpreting government responses through new laws, regulations, and statements. This awareness also allows the GTC team to give the best guidance to our business areas based on the current geopolitical climate.
- Determine and document classification designation for parts, equipment, and technology and peer review classification determinations from team
- Interpret International Trade Regulations and apply them as necessary
Provide guidance and requirements to Viasat personnel concerning international trade regulations
- Ensure proper use of export authorizations (licenses/agreements, exemptions, exceptions, etc.)
- Complete required recordkeeping
- Maintains knowledge of and stays current on regulatory changes
Review contracts for global trade requirements
- Solid understanding of required documentation such as commercial invoices, shipper’s letters of instructions (SLI), carnets, and EEI filings
What you'll need
- 8+ years’ experience in regulatory trade compliance
- Strong background in product classification
- Engineering or other technical degree preferred
Extensive understanding of export control and international trade concepts to include ITAR, EAR, OFAC and FTR
- Experience with non-US trade regulations
- Proficiency with OCR EASE, DECCS, SNAP-R, ACE
What will help you on the job
- Ability to work with minimal day to day guidance
- Effective time management skills
Ability to interact effectively with a diverse group of individuals and work well as a team member
- Must be open to challenges, new ideas and change.
- Must be able to handle multiple priorities and work well under pressure.
- Must be comfortable with ambiguity
- Critical thinking and excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Effective written and oral communication
- Strong attention to detail
Viasat is a fast-paced environment that specializes in a wide range of products. Our global trade compliance team supports all Viasat locations around the world with their export and import requirements. Our team is not siloed into specific functions such as classification or licensing, rather we specialize in and support all aspects of the trade compliance functions. We are not your typical compliance team and set the bar high. We offer flexibility and a great work/life balance with many opportunities to learn and grow. Teamwork is a key core value of our global trade compliance group. Viasat’s culture is wonderfully unique, and our team might be just the environment you’re looking for. This position can be fully remote, hybrid, or in one of the many global Viasat offices – whichever you prefer.
$96,000.00 - $161,500.00 / annually
At Viasat, we consider many factors when it comes to compensation, including the scope of the position as well as your background and experience. Base pay may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Additional cash or stock incentives may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. Learn more about Viasat’s comprehensive benefit offerings that are focused on your holistic health and wellness at careers.viasat.com/LifeAtViasat/Benefits.
Viasat is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, genetics, age, or veteran status or any other applicable legally protected status or characteristic. If you would like to request an accommodation on the basis of disability for completing this on-line application, please click here.