Field Applications Engineer - Qatar
One team. Global challenges. Infinite opportunities. At Viasat, we’re on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. For more than 35 years, Viasat has helped shape how consumers, businesses, governments and militaries around the globe communicate. We’re looking for people who think big, act fearlessly, and create an inclusive environment that drives positive impact to join our team.
What you'll do
Install and work with Communications-on-the-Move (COTM) SATCOM products. Hands-on field work in direct support of our troops. Does this sound exciting to you? Our Field Applications Engineers are integral to the continuous success of our state-of-the-art satellite communications equipment that enables our military to be in constant contact with each other even in the most remote locations worldwide.
In this role, you will support hub and terminal operations as a primary point of contact in (location) for our SATCOM systems which you will install, test, operate, monitor, maintain, and troubleshoot during the course of one year. There will be no slow days as you will be responsible for daily operations of complex SATCOM hub assets and mobile airborne SATCOM terminals, providing local and remote support to terminal users. You will be troubleshooting complex RF, IP networking, and software issues in a dynamic environment supporting live operations. Your exceptional customer service skills come into play as you serve as the primary customer interface on a daily basis. Viasat will ensure your success by providing you with training at our Carlsbad facility for up to 3 months prior to deployment. If you are interested in serving the needs of our military by providing hands-on support in a challenging environment – this might be the perfect position for you!
Install, test, operate, monitor, maintain, troubleshoot, and administer (number) satellite communications hubs and any associated remote terminals. Remotes are typically airborne mobile COTM platforms. Supported subsystems include RF, IP/networking, servers/virtualization, Windows machines, Linux machines, and proprietary software.
This is a customer-facing engineering role and includes briefing of key stakeholders, ticketing, documentation, and process improvement functions.
What you'll need
- 5+ years’ experience working with IP-based Military SATCOM systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of Ku/Ka-band RF equipment, Antenna Control Units (ACU), High Power Amplifiers (HPA), Uplink Power Control (UPC), tracking antennas, standard test equipment and communications theory
- Working knowledge of Linux/Unix operating systems and server virtualization technologies, as well as IP networking and equipment, including configuration, operation, and troubleshooting of routers, switches, security appliances, and traffic shapers
- Proven ability to troubleshoot, document troubleshooting steps, and plan maintenance activities
- Ability to communicate technical topics to both technical and non-technical audiences, via written or verbal presentation
- Ability to meet requirements for grip and static strength, dynamic lifting, and work/positional tolerances
- Current DoD 8570 IAT Level II certification (CCNA-Security, CySA+, Security+ CE, SSCP, etc.) or attainable within 6 months of employment
- Associates degree in technical discipline or equivalent work experience
- US Government position. US Citizenship reuqired
- Active DoD Secret Clearance
- Must be able to qualify for Qatari residency
- Must be able to deploy for a minimum of one (1) year
What will help you on the job
- Associate degree in telecommunications or related discipline
- CCNA certification
$86,550.00 - $142,700.00 / annually
At Viasat, we consider many factors when it comes to compensation, including the scope of the position as well as your background and experience. Base pay may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Additional cash or stock incentives may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. Learn more about Viasat’s comprehensive benefit offerings that are focused on your holistic health and wellness at careers.viasat.com/LifeAtViasat/Benefits.
Viasat is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, genetics, age, or veteran status or any other applicable legally protected status or characteristic. If you would like to request an accommodation on the basis of disability for completing this on-line application, please click here.