Senior Software Engineer, Decision Making
Who We Are
Nuro exists to better everyday life through robotics. The company’s custom electric autonomous vehicles are designed to bring the things you need—from produce to prescriptions—right to your home. Nuro’s autonomous, goods-focused solution can give you valuable time back and more freedom to do what you love. This convenient, eco-friendly alternative to driving has the potential to make streets safer and cities more livable.
About the Team
On our Planning team, you'll play a significant role in writing production ready code that enables the Nuro to drive safely, comfortably and efficiently on public roads.
About the Role
In this role you'll research and develop algorithms for motion planning, write performant C++ code and interface with all other teams in the behavior planning organization. In this impactful role, you will collaborate with a best-in-class team of engineers to tackle hard problems and help advance the future of robotics to improve everyday lives.
About the Work
- Research and develop novel algorithms that solve the most challenging and exciting motion planning and decision making problems in autonomous driving, including optimization-based methods, sampling based methods and search based methods, planning under uncertainty, and combining data-driven techniques with traditional model-based methods
- Collaborate closely with engineers across prediction, perception, machine learning, mapping and localization, autonomy systems, and infrastructure
- Take responsibility for the core decision making stack by leading feature development and improvements around safety, comfort and scalability of the motion planning code.
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship for junior members of the behavior planning team
- Write robust, production-ready software to make our vehicle safe and predictable in complex driving scenarios
- PhD in Robotics, Computer Science, mechanical/aerospace engineering, electrical engineering, with 3+ years of relevant industry experience or M.S. with 5+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Proven ability to collaborate within and across teams
- Proven ability to lead technical development for safety critical planning systems for autonomous driving.
- Demonstrated effective skills in managing projects involving cross-functional groups.
- You also have at least one of the following:
- Research experience in one of: motion planning, behavior planning, data-driven motion planning, planning under uncertainty
- Strong C++ programming skills, algorithms and data structures knowledge, and software design experience
At Nuro, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. For this position, the reasonably expected pay range is between $167,200 and $250,800 for the level at which this job has been scoped. Your base pay will depend on several factors, including your experience, qualifications, education, location, and skills. In the event that you are considered for a different level, a higher or lower pay range would apply. This position is also eligible for an annual performance bonus, equity, and a competitive benefits package.
At Nuro, we celebrate differences and are committed to a diverse workplace that fosters inclusion and psychological safety for all employees. Nuro is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and expressly prohibits any form of workplace discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.
You must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by your hire date to be eligible to start the role. Proof of vaccination will be required by your start date. Nuro will consider and review accommodation requests based on medical, religious, or other grounds as required by applicable law for qualified candidates.
Something looks off?