Senior Application Engineer
FlexGen Power Systems
FlexGen is currently searching for a Senior Applications Engineer to work with our business development group and our Systems Engineering team to support the project development, pre-sale and engineering services in for energy storage system solutions. The right individual will take ownership of the technical definition and development of energy storage system solutions using the FlexGen platforms in the pre-sale and sales phases of the project. This person will also provide expertise and guidance for the energy storage systems (ESS) operations, control, management, and performance monitoring.
Energy storage represents a multibillion-dollar market at the center of the energy transition. The integration of energy storage requires software and technological solutions that play a critical role in the adoption of renewables at scale—offsetting the intermittency and reliability challenges that renewable power generation creates for the grid. Since its founding in 2009, FlexGen has supported deployments of more than 3 GWh of energy storage systems across the U.S. and internationally for utility, microgrid, and C&I customers. The Company’s proprietary software platform allows energy storage owners to deploy various power market strategies and combine storage solutions with any form of generation.
FlexGen is dedicated to providing best-in-class service and performance for its customers, seeking to ensure safety, reliability and resiliency in all operating environments. FlexGen supports the customer across the full journey of developing an energy storage project, and leverages decades of engineering and software expertise to maximize value that its customers ultimately receive. The company’s HybridOS solutions include six distinct energy management solution applications including: DigitalTwin, FlexPack, SiteController, FleetManager, PowerCloud and FlexBidr.
Backed by a world-class group of investors including: founding investors Jerry Miller and Mark Dreyfus, legacy investors GE Venture and Caterpillar Ventures, an initial equity investment by venture capital firm Altria Group, a Series B led by Apollo Global Management, and a Series C led by Swiss investment firm Vitol with participation from all existing investors, FlexGen is poised to grow substantially and quite rapidly.
Major Job Responsibilities:
- Lead the ESS preliminary system design, system guidance, and over-all power system operation to ensure that all site requirements are met.
- Interface with ESS customer as BESS technology provider to support on the system design, interconnection support, and specific interface requirements for the C&I market.
- Assist with strategic opportunity identification with business development group
- Be a part of the estimation process for all ESS projects
- Support the contract process from negotiation to definitive contract
- Produce SLDs that accurately describe the overall EPS
- A BSEE or BSME. An associate degree in engineering or similar experience will be considered
- 5 years or more industry experience in a similar position.
- In depth understanding of UL and IEEE requirements that are applicable in the energy storage system industry
- Overall detailed understanding of the operation of power conditioning systems and battery energy storage systems – 100kW to 2MW/250kWh to 2MWh capacity, including transformers.
- A valid driver's license and willingness to travel
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) with active listening and customer service skills
- The ability to deal with multiple requests without being overwhelmed
- The ability to remain professional under pressure
- The ability to pass a background and toxicology screen
FlexGen provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, FlexGen complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FlexGen expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
To the extent permitted by law, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing.