Head of Engineering
Job Title: Head of Engineering
Reports to: VP of Services
FLSA Status: Exempt
ChaiOne is a global leader developing innovative custom software for energy & industrial enterprises. Bootstrapped the day Steve Jobs announced the Apple App Store 14 years ago, ChaiOne embodies that entrepreneurial, creative spirit in client interactions every day. We are pioneers in industrial digitalization, our design thinking led software solutions reduce cost, increase adoption, and elevate the customer experience.
We are a tight-knit bunch of creative, curious, and passionate people. Here are a few reasons that we know you'd love it here:
- You’ll work with some of the world’s largest energy & industrial companies.
- You'll solve challenging, meaningful problems worth solving.
- You’ll explore cutting edge technology and harness its power to transform the way businesses operate.
The Head of Engineering provides leadership & mentorship to teams of developers and architects, who are responsible for the organization’s consulting projects. This role is responsible for ensuring timely & high-quality deliverables across the ChaiOne portfolio of software engineering projects. As a key member of the ChaiOne leadership team, the Head of Engineering works collaboratively across the organization to represent the Engineering team in business, process, sales and technical discussions. This role plays a crucial role in driving talent development & retention, innovation, sales, efficiency, and quality in the engineering department while adhering to project deadlines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Set technical standards and processes for teams and mentor team members.
- Provide the tools & guidelines for the engineering team to design and plan complex custom applications for the cloud, web and mobile solutions along with supporting current solutions.
- Accountable for overall successful delivery for all engineering projects.
- Coach and train the engineering team on best practices, such as lunch and learns.
- Seek and recruit top talent to join the team leveraging code challenges and hackathons.
- Review and establish recruiting criteria to find top talent in the US and in LATAM
- Build engineering team in LATAM and in Texas
- Build depth in the MSFT stack via certifications
- Contribute to billable client work at an agreed-upon utilization rate.
- Work with ChaiOne Resource Manager to support and staff client engagements, ensuring proper assignments and allocations of team resources.
- Support ChaiOne teams across projects that are staffed remotely either onshore or nearshore.
- Support vendor evaluation and decisions on technology and other investments.
- Provide support and mentorship to other engineering employees and managers.
- Communicate effectively with managers, employees, and members of the executive and enablement teams.
- Foster a positive attitude, contributing to the morale of the organization.
- Establish and own initiatives between Engineering and Design, Behavioral Science, Engagement Management and Sales outside of client projects in order to improve quality, process efficiency, develop skills and grow ChaiOne offerings.
- Maintain key relationships with high-level client stakeholders. Be seen as an expert and provide technical solutions for clients on our project work.
- Collaborate with the Head of Technology to determine ChaiOne technical vision and provide support for execution of technical direction.
- Support Head of Technology in sales opportunities as needed.
- Collaborate with all the practice leads to develop and grow ChaiOne’s offerings in order to deliver more value for clients.
- Own project estimate completion and quality; represent engineering in pre-sales activities such as project estimations, writing proposals, meeting with clients.
Manages associate, senior, lead developers, and software architects, in the Engineering discipline. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Build and manage a pipeline of preferred technical vendors that can be used on ChaiOne projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent.
- 15+ years of related experience with 2+ years being in a people-leadership capacity.
- Preferred some level of experience in these areas,
- AI and Data Architecture
- .NET (full stack, backend, DevOps, etc.)
- Cloud (Azure/AWS/Google Cloud in order of preference)
- Mobile Development (iOS and Android, native and cross platform)
- Basic knowledge of data structures and algorithms.
- Experience working effectively with a team of engineers as well as cross-functional teams including engagement managers, QA, designers, behavioral scientists etc.
- Extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish team and company goals.
- Ability to quickly learn and adapt to new tools.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate through listening, written, and verbal communication.
- Experience consulting and solving problems with clients.
- Presentation and storytelling skills.
- Local travel for projects expected – up to 50%
- Other travel - up to 25%
- Must be comfortable working from client and ChaiOne offices when needed
- Flexible remote work hours
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
- Disability & Life Insurance
- 401k with up to 4% match
- 20 days PTO
- Unlimited Sick Time
- Unlimited Virtual Doctor, Mental Health, Neck/Back Care, Dermatology and Nutrition benefits
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.