EVA Intern (Summer 2024)
Axiom Space is building for beyond, guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. The leading provider of human spaceflight services and developer of human-rated space infrastructure, Axiom Space operates end-to-end missions to the International Space Station today while developing its successor, Axiom Station – a permanent commercial destination in low-Earth orbit that will sustain human growth off the planet and bring untold benefits back home.
Axiom Space fosters a diverse environment inclusive of all perspectives. We are the pioneers of commercial space, leading the transformation of low-Earth orbit into a global space marketplace. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic EVA Intern who is fueled by problem-solving, continuously curious, and driven to understand our world, science/technology and life itself, for the benefit of all on Earth and beyond.
Axiom Space was chosen by NASA to develop its next-generation astronaut spacesuits for the Artemis lunar missions. These new spacesuits built by Axiom Space will provide astronauts with advanced capabilities for space exploration, while providing commercially developed human systems needed to access, live, and work in microgravity as well as on and around the Moon.
SUMMARY: We are looking for individuals who are passionate about learning, open to mentoring by top professionals, coaching, customer service, and developing problem solving skills. The role requires organization, time management, and communication skills. The 2024 Summer Internship program will be onsite at Axiom Space in Houston, Texas from June 3 to August 23.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop models, procedures, and/or process documents to support EVA system development.
- Support EVA development team with tasks related to design, analysis, test, and evaluation demonstrating our core competency of together.
- Perform analysis and testing to support component or system development.
- Document design, analysis, and test output to support review and approval of system development.
- Present results of tests and evaluations to EVA technical teams.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Rising Junior or Senior or Advanced Degree (MS/MA or Ph.D.) in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field.
- Cumulative GPA 3.0 or higher
- Work Environment: Generally, an office or lab environment
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (75% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
- Standard office equipment (PC, printer, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Capability with engineering software (CAD, analysis, programming) is a plus
- Familiarity with additive manufacturing or automated manufacturing systems is a plus
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.