Compensation & Benefits Specialist
Axiom Space is building for beyond, guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. The leading provider of human spaceflight services and developer of human-rated space infrastructure, Axiom Space operates end-to-end missions to the International Space Station today while developing its successor, Axiom Station – a permanent commercial destination in low-Earth orbit that will sustain human growth off the planet and bring untold benefits back home.
Axiom Space fosters a diverse environment inclusive of all perspectives. We are the pioneers of commercial space, leading the transformation of low-Earth orbit into a global space marketplace. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Compensation & Benefits Specialist who is fueled by problem-solving, continuously curious, and driven to understand our world, science/technology, and life itself, for the benefit of all on Earth and beyond.
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic Compensation & Benefits Specialist who will serve as a point of contact for employees and managers who have questions about compensation, employee benefits and best practices in relation to these topics. This position reports to the Director of Human Resources. This role is onsite and will be based at our Houston HQ facility.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Administer employee insurance, pension, and savings plans, working with insurance brokers and plan carriers, demonstrating our core competency of teamwork.
- Research employee benefit and health and safety practices, and recommend changes or modifications to existing policies, in alignment with our core value of innovation.
- Ensure company compliance with federal and state laws, including reporting requirements, in alignment with our core value of integrity. Respond to requests by managers and employees on current practices and policies.
- Responds to benefits inquiries from managers and employees on plan provisions, benefits enrollments, status changes and other general inquiries, demonstrating our core competency of communication. Assist in the planning, preparation and completion of benefits open enrollment.
- Processes and administers all leave-of-absence requests and disability paperwork: medical, personal, disability and FMLA. Effectively interprets FMLA and ADA implications as they relate to leaves of absences/disabilities, demonstrating our competency of problem solving.
- Prepare occupational classifications, job descriptions, and salary scales. Provide advice on the resolution of classification and salary complaints.
- Research job and worker requirements, structural and functional relationships among jobs and occupations, and occupational trends.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in human resources, business administration, finance or accounting or related field
- 3+ years’ experience in benefits administration, analysis, and compensation or a combined equivalent of education and experience
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service and clarity when assisting employees with benefits issues, claims and other situations
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task on multiple projects
- Ability to thrive in a fast environment and produce timely results
- Excellent Excel and analytical skills and ability to demonstrate strong attention to detail
- Certification in Benefits and/or Compensation preferred (CBP, CCP)
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- (Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
- Equipment and Machines
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic, and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.