Ground Systems Engineer
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Ground Systems Engineer who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic Ground Systems Engineer who will participate in the design, development, testing, and verification of the Axiom Ground System, this includes Axiom’s Mission Control Center. The Ground Systems Engineer will collaborate with various engineering disciplines, Axiom personnel, and NASA personnel to develop the requirements, verifications, network architecture, hardware configurations, cyber security, data analytics, software tools, operations concepts, processes, console support products, and other tools and documentation required for Axiom’s Mission Control Center to support Axiom’s presence in low Earth orbit (LEO). In parallel, the Ground Systems Engineer will provide support for Axiom Private Astronaut Mission (PAM) flights to the International Space Station. This position reports to the Ground Systems Manager. This role is onsite and will be based at our Houston HQ facility.
This position has multiple job openings (and may be filled at multiple levels).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and develop the Axiom communication and Information Technology (IT) infrastructure needed to support on-orbit operations, simulations, and network connections to external partners including NASA Mission Control Center – Houston (MCC-H) and payload customers.
- Support the development, testing, and verification of Axiom Mission Control Center (MCC-A) and other support rooms as a fully integrated system in support of Axiom Segment operations.
- Support as a Ground Technology Officer (GTO) or related flight control discipline to plan, train, and fly real-time Axiom missions.
- Integrate MCC-A with NASA MCC-H, payload customers, and other strategic partners to transfer voice, video, telemetry, commands, and payload data over a secure data path.
- Support the design and development of an Axiom Backup Control Center (BCC-A) and integrate it with NASA Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC).
- Lead the evolution of IT services to more cost effective and technologically relevant practices and products.
- Consult and collaborate on integrated operations solutions that satisfy mission requirements across functional teams within the organization.
- Develop Ground Systems operations concept, processes, procedures, tools, console support products, group documentation, training, certification, and on-orbit procedures.
- Aid in the development, management, and implementation of training plans for ground systems support personnel at Axiom Space to cover real-time decision making, verbal communications, system technical knowledge and application, and failure response training.
- Perform other ground systems integration tasks as required, including bringing operational perspectives to systems architecture meetings, interacting with engineering, payload, and business development teams, and leading discussions of operational significance to the program at various forums.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, science, information systems, or other technically related area is required.
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience in real-time space/mission operations or a combined equivalent of education and experience
- Experience with network architecture, cyber security, data analytics, and communication systems
- Experience with NASA MCC-H systems and network
Work Environment: Office. During missions, Ground Systems Engineers will support from the mission control center.
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Relevant NASA MCC-H and SpaceX Ground Systems expertise will be considered.
- Ability to develop network architecture and configure network hardware.
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret, create, and execute contents of complex written documents.
- Ability to utilize Agile Project Management methods.
- Ability to develop, understand, and apply advanced data analytics, scientific, technical, and/or mathematical concepts.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, define goals, set priorities & deadlines, identify key stakeholders, clearly communicate requirements of the position.
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment and communicate effectively with all stakeholders and across disciplines.
- Ability to create operational concepts, processes, procedures, desktop instructions, presentations, training materials, and certification guides.
- Ability to effectively use industry standard software tools and programs, with a desire to innovate and push boundaries in how they are utilized, including but not limited to design, development, training, data analytics, data visualization, mixed reality visualization aids, cyber security, machine learning, and artificial intelligence.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic, and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.