OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Electronics Technician who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
NASA chose Axiom Space to develop its next-generation astronaut spacesuits for the Artemis lunar missions. These new spacesuits built by Axiom Space will provide astronauts with advanced capabilities for space exploration, while providing commercially developed human systems needed to access, live, and work in microgravity as well as on and around the Moon.
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic Electronics Technician who will be responsible for the assembly of electronics equipment. This position reports to the Sr Manager, Ax Power, Avionics & Controls. This role is onsite and will be based at our Gemini facility.
Axiom Space has more than one opening for this role.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The electronics technician will assemble, test, and integrate prototype, qualification, and space-rated avionics hardware.
- Fabricate avionics wire harnesses, terminations, connectors, pin and socket assemblies, harness shields, ground terminations, and related components per drawings.
- The ability to read and understand electrical drawings and diagrams of avionics systems, assemblies, and wiring layouts, demonstrating our competency of problem solving.
- Ability to assemble prototype and test boxes with minimalistic drawings, in alignment with our core value of innovation.
- Familiarity with standard lab test equipment (multimeters, oscilloscopes, data acquisition boxes, etc.).
- Must be able to interact with all engineering disciplines and technical management in a professional team-oriented environment, in alignment with our core value of together and demonstrating our competency of teamwork.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Associate degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience; commercial or military aircraft experience is preferred.
- Background and experience with board-level, system-level, and spacecraft-level electronics hardware.
- Proven ability to fabricate, assemble, and test avionics and electrical assemblies.
- Candidate must possess one or more of the following certifications:
- Workmanship Standard for Crimping, Interconnecting Cables, Harnesses & Wiring per NASA-STD-8739.4
- Requirements and Acceptance for Cable and Wire Harness Assemblies w/Space and Military Applications Electronic Hardware Addendum per IPC/WHMA-A-620
- Requirements for Soldered Electrical and Electronic Assemblies w/Space and Military Applications per IPC J-STD-001
- Surface Mount Soldering NASA-STD-8739.2
- Through Hole Soldering Per NASA-STD-8739.3
- Workmanship Standard for Polymeric Application on Electronic Assemblies per NASA-STD-8739.1
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
- Equipment and Machines (e.g., soldering and crimping equipment)
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and produce timely results
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources.
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic, and deadline-oriented environment.
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.