OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it.
Axiom Space was chosen by NASA to develop its next-generation astronaut spacesuits for the Artemis lunar missions. These new spacesuits built by Axiom Space will provide astronauts with advanced capabilities for space exploration, while providing commercially developed human systems needed to access, live, and work in microgravity as well as on and around the Moon.
Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Mechanical Engineer for our EVA Tools and Flight Support Equipment team who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic EVA Tools and Flight Support Equipment Mechanical Engineer who will primarily be responsible for aiding Axiom’s Space Suit team with the development of life support hardware. We are looking for an individual with a strong technical background who excels at problem solving. The role requires strong organizational, time management, and communication skills.
Axiom Space has more than one opening for this role.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work on a collaborative team developing Axiom’s Space Suit for low Earth orbit and beyond
- Plan and perform testing of components and integrated assemblies.
- Inspire the Agile development of safe, reliable, ready to install hardware that meets requirements and acceptance criteria.
- Collaborate with Work closely with EVA engineers and leverage structural analyses to develop integrated design solutions, rapidly assess conceptual designs, and establish mechanism requirements and performance parameters.
- Perform trade studies for technical solutions, including make/buy recommendations.
- Develop and manage requirements for hardware, in alignment with our core value of
- Ensure designs satisfy requirements and demonstrate performance in a thorough verification and validation program, in alignment with our core value of integrity and demonstrating our competency of ethics
- Perform trade studies for technology development, demonstrating our core value of organizational support
- Analyze data and make recommendations for improvement, demonstrating our competency of problem solving
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace Engineering, or related field required
- 5-7 years’ experience in life support engineering, or similar role or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong mechanical design, integration, and mechanism analysis skills using 3D modeling and simulation tools, i.e. SolidWorks preferred.
- Experience developing spaceflight hardware structures & mechanisms including the following materials: metallic, non-metallic, composite structures.
- Certification as Project Management Professional (PMP) preferred.
- Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO) preferred.
- Strong background with life support system technologies or spacesuits preferred
- Familiarity with flight hardware development and certification preferred
- Hands on experience building, testing, and/or assembling hardware preferred
- Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
- Equipment and Machines
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic, and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.